Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Friday, February 14, 2014

Valentine's Day Creepy Romantic Bullshit

Well, so it's Valentine's Day. And in light of Valentine's Day, I guess I'll write on the subject of romance.

Except, this isn't really a very romantic post. I wanted to write on the subject of people who are obsessed with other people.

What makes someone obsessed? Well, it seems to me, it is an obsession if the feeling isn't mutual.

So you meet someone, and you feel an instant connection. Right away, you know you want to be in a relationship with this person. This doesn't happen often. In fact, this never happens. It's hard to find someone you are truly interested in. But you did, and wham!

The reason you fell for this person is because you really enjoy being around this person. And right away, you are willing to dedicate yourself to this person. Not like, marry them, but you want to try out a relationship, and you hope it will last.

But the feeling isn't mutual. The trouble is, you saw what you saw in this person, something you don't see in many people. You can't just let go because you really, really like this person. Is this a sign of weakness? Is really liking someone a sign of weakness?

These are questions I once asked myself, back when I was obsessed with that one person. Sure, I've moved on now, but back in the day I felt like a creep.

Because I didn't really know this guy. I hung out with him a few times. I noticed something. Everytime I hung out with him, I was high. Not on drugs, though sometimes I was high on those also. But I was just ridiculously happy.

It happened really, really fast. And almost faster than that, he started treating me like shit. Because he was a weirdo. A fucking weirdo. But I was okay with that. I liked him. I was willing to stick with him, despite his weirdo ways. I barely knew him though. But I knew that I was happy when I was around him. It's the kind of thing where, you know right away. You know right away if you really like someone or not. You know right away if someone is worth your time.

I thought he was worth my time. But he treated me like shit all the time after that. So was he really worth my time? No. But I couldn't move on.

Is this a sign of weakness? Being dedicated to another person, who isn't dedicated to you? Is knowing right off the bat that you want to be with someone a bad thing? Are these feelings supposed to take time to develop?

I don't know. I don't think so. I think finding someone you really want to spend time with is a positive thing.

The thing about me is, while I like pretty much everyone. I like anyone who doesn't have a problem with me. I'm not often annoyed by people. People don't get on my nerves much, but then again I don't deal a lot with people. I dislike most people who have a problem with me. Except for this guy. Anyway, what I was going to say is, while I like people, it's difficult for me to allocate the energy needed to actually give a crap about them. It's just way too exhausting to care about other people all the time. It's hard enough, making myself happy. Damn, that's hard! But then I'm expected to not only make myself happy, but my happiness also has to be dependent on the happiness of other people. Shit! I'm never going to be happy now, if that's what it takes to be happy! So I just don't even bother.

But I gave a crap about this guy. And it was a mistake.

Anyway, so I had delusions about this guy. Which made me more fixated. And I wrote him while I was delusional, and he blocked me, eventually. But I still liked him. So am I a creep now? I don't like, stalk him or anything. Stalking to me seems utterly pointless. But I think about him, and I have trouble with relationships because I have a hard time liking other people.

So this is actually a very romantic story. I would have dedicated myself to this guy. I thought about this guy. I longed for this guy. I had dreams about this guy. But him and I would never be together. Never be together. Never be together.

So it seems like the safest thing to do is to never like anyone. But that's easier said than done.

1 comment:

  1. Perhaps you longed for him because you couldn't have him. Because you couldn't have him, you had no relationship with him and built him up to be something he wasn't in your own mind. Then it becomes a close feedback loop...you're in love with the idea, or the ideal, of someone, but not the actual person. Sort of another form of mental masturbation.

    ReplyDelete