Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Sunday, February 16, 2014

Astrology: A Funny Kind of Bullshit

So I wanted to take a moment to talk about something I think is bullshit: astrology.

Yes, I believe in things like psychics, sometimes I believe in tarot cards (other times I get frustrated with the random bullshit), I believe in ghosts and telepathy. I believe in dream interpretation. But I don't believe in astrology.

The reason I don't believe in astrology comes down to the fact that it doesn't make any sense. Why would the stars, and planets, affect my personality and life?

Some people read their profile of their sign, based on when they were born, and say wow! So accurate! The thing is, those things really aren't that accurate. It's the same thing with numerology, the "science" of assigning numbers to each letter in the alphabet, adding the numbers in your name together, and then continuously adding the digits together until you get a single digit number, which represents your personality. Or maybe it's the digits in your birthday. Something like that.

So here's how it works. Astrology profiles are incredibly vague. Your personality isn't black and white. For every personality trait, you don't either have it or you don't, you have it to varying degrees. For example, shyness. Everyone experiences moments where they feel shy. For me, if my astrology profile said I was shy, I could see a lot of truth in that. But if it said I was outgoing, I could see truth in that too! Because I do act outgoing sometimes. It's like that with shy/outgoing, it is probably the same with any other personality trait. How people act depends on their mood. They don't ever say really specific things about your personality in astrology readings. Not that I've ever gotten an astrology reading, besides that free one. I'm talking about general ones for your star sign. They say things that allow anyone to look at it and see truth in. Same with numerology.

Then don't even get me started on horoscopes. Are horoscopes ever accurate? Actually, one time, my sister had one that was accurate! It said she would meet a guy with a certain personality on a specific day of the month, and she met a guy like that on that day! Wow! It was accurate once! But, the law of averages says, it's bound to be accurate every once in awhile. I chalk it up to a coincidence.

One thing I thought was really stupid. A couple years ago, people were saying that the signs has shifted, because the stars and planets or whatever had shifted over time, so their astrology signs had changed. I looked into it. "Expert" astrologers were saying that that wasn't the case, everyone's signs were all the same. Anyway, I had a Cosmopolitan magazine. I have this problem now, when it comes to buying magazines. No magazines really suit my interests. The best one I've found is Scientific American Mind, which is about psychology and is interesting. But sometimes, you just kind of want a fun magazine, so occasionally I buy Cosmo. I don't know why. I fucking hate Cosmo. It's so stupid. But I buy it sometimes. Anyway, they have this thing in the magazine where they have a pie chart of things that people are talking about around the Cosmopolitan office. One time it was something like, people were discussing what it was like now that they have different astrology signs, because the planets have shifted.

The reason this is stupid, is because they didn't shift overnight. If the signs shifted and you are now a Sagittarius, that means you were always a Sagittarius. You were never whatever sign you thought you were before. So it's like, wow! That explains why our horoscopes have never ever been accurate! All this time we've been looking at the wrong one!

I kind of thought that it said something about the intelligence level of the people who work at Cosmopolitan magazine. What's more likely? Astrology has always been accurate, we were just looking at the wrong horoscope? Or, the reason our horoscopes have never been accurate is because astrology is a load of bullshit?

3 comments:

  1. hi rachel i've decided not to really use facebook anymore. only on occasions. sorry. but i've found this blog post from someone that seems interesting. hope you find it interest. it'd be cool if you could post back what you think. (hugs)

    http://www.ascensionhelp.com/blog/2013/08/23/why-i-am-no-longer-a-light-worker/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Sorry I posted that cause I was going thru my PTSD attack moment. I got PTSD from innercept. Anyway my guardian angels are actually my friends... Sorry... About the last post. I was kinda out of it

    ReplyDelete
  3. Iizzii you should stay on Facebook. I guess the reason for that is I want all my friends on Facebook, so I can go one place and find them. I don't get to talk to you usually if you're not on Facebook.

    ReplyDelete