Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Sunday, February 9, 2014

Public Speaking

So, I say it all the time. I'm going to be famous. I'm going to be famous.

I'm going to be both an author and a mobile app developer. Actually, I imagine what will make me famous is my book. Yes, it will be lost on a lot of people, but there will be a small group of  people who really "gets" it, and likes it. This is what I imagine.

But what do you do when you are famous? If you are a famous singer, or musician, you do shows where you play music, sing and/or dance. I'm not going to be a famous musician. I will be a famous mentally ill author. So what do those people do? They talk. They give speeches in front of people. Public speaking.

I went to a couple Toastmaster meetings awhile ago. The problem I had with it was that it was too business-like. Like, oriented towards speaking in a corporate or business setting. I want to talk about mental illness. I would not feel comfortable talking at Toastmasters about my mental illness.

But then there's NAMI. If I could give speeches there, it would be okay. What I would do is, step one, write a really good speech. Step two, practice it. Step three, give it in front of people. Then, I could go around giving my speech, and then make a Youtube video of me giving my speech.

What would my speech topic be? So I was thinking my speech would be about how to talk to delusional people. Now, I have experience being both the delusional person, and the one talking to the delusional person. So I would first do some research about it, what experts say, and then incorporate in my own experiences.

So this could give me practice with public speaking.

I'd like to spend time making connections with people. I'd also like to spend time getting more experience with these matters. Like, talking to people who are out of it or delusional. I don't know how I would do this. I was thinking of volunteering with NAMI. The thing is I would want to work specifically with people who were out of it.

No comments:

Post a Comment