Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Wednesday, October 26, 2011

Logic and Dopamine

I just got out of logic class, where I was reminded that logic is something I excel at. I whizzed through the in-class work because it was easy, finishing long before I think anyone else finished, so I sat there staring at the wall, and then the teacher came over and briefly looked over my work and declared that I was the professor. So now I'm a professor.

This triggers a lot of thoughts in me, like that the reason that I don't have the job isn't because of lack of skill but rather lack of education. I figured out the other day that I don't need all that many more credits to earn an Associate's degree, which is exciting to think that I could soon be something more than a high school graduate. Of course, I would then transfer to some other school and earn a Bachelor's degree, and maybe more if I felt like it. North Idaho College may have been good enough for Sarah Palin but it's not good enough for me.

But apart from that, remembering that I excelled at logic made me wonder why I'm not allowed to trust my own brain. For some reason, I have to rely on other people's opinions or conclusions on things, even though I have both higher intelligence and more information.

Yet I, being the professor and all, see flaws in this. I'm not sure how well being good at the kind of logic we were doing in class transfers over to examining my life. When my parents look at my life, they see a trouble teen who spiraled into a meltdown. That's not what I see. Sure, there were issues, but nothing that lead to a meltdown. I see supernatural occurences. More importantly, I see the reasons why these supernatural occurences happened. At least, I see how one odd spirit-induced event lead to another odd spirit-induced event. And this is where I feel like I might lose people, because in order to understand what I am saying I would actually have to give you examples, and that kind of stuff is top secret, at least for now.

But that's not to say that there wasn't faulty thinking. Boy, was there faulty thinking! I'm just saying, there are some serious gaps in the chemical imbalance theory.

In the end though, this misunderstanding comes down to chemicals. Brain chemicals have the ability to determine what a person deems as being probable. Someone with more dopamine sees more significance, and the more grandiose possibility seems more likely. People with less dopamine only accept ordinary and often pessimistic views of why things are. My mother has pessimistic thinking patterns and sees mostly negative traits in her daughters, especially my sister. Whenever my mom talks to me about her she says negative things. It's likely that her brain is unable to comprehend optimistic ideas. This is how I see things.

No comments:

Post a Comment