Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Tuesday, May 18, 2021

My Brain and Music Cognition

 Today I wanted to talk more about my childhood and my brain and music. I was a very late bloomer when it comes to music appreciation. I remember that was one of the questions I asked my mom during the terrible twos, why do people listen to music? I remember my parents playing a Christmas album for me in my crib at night and the songs Do you see what I see? and Winter Wonderland scared me (along with the little noise of the musician releasing the guitar string).


Actually, I didn’t start developing adult music appreciation until around fourth grade or later. I remember riding in the car for our commute to a new school, realizing that some of the songs made me feel “cool.” Listening to music with my friends as a kid didn’t do it. Still, there was an Amanda Marshall album we listened to all the time then, that when listening to the songs now, even though I heard them all the time then, does not bring me back to that time period. I figure it is because even in fourth grade, my music appreciation was still underdeveloped.


A song I pointed out to my friends I liked before I moved (absence of peer pressure), Vibeology by Paula Abdul, I downloaded recently and is still a song I think is alright, probably the best one by her. I listened to what my sister listened to, that’s why I talk about peer pressure.


I played violin starting in 3rd grade, and was in orchestra starting in 4th. I always played second violin, even though I was quite talented, talented enough to play first. I stopped practicing and that held back my performance. My guides say this taught me harmonies and improved my music composition skills. I wouldn’t be a good violinist as an adult, because I have a minor undiagnosed muscular condition that makes me incapable of vibrato.


I have a brain that isn’t as good at writing fiction, and learning foreign languages, and Rubik’s cubes. Good at everything else.

No comments:

Post a Comment