Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Saturday, November 16, 2013

Dead Mother Fucking Serious

So I wanted to talk about ADD meds.

I get annoyed. So, my doctor gives me a prescription for Adderall, instead of Ritalin like I've been taking for the past month. Ritalin and Adderall are very similar only Adderall is more potent. I don't freak out when my mom doesn't fill the prescription right away, I wait a couple days, then I ask her to fill it and she tells me I am being a fucking drug addict.

The truth is the drugs are addictive but they are also helpful. So I talk about them being addictive, because it's kind of ridiculous that a drug with this much addiction potential is handed out to children. When I was a kid, I was forced to take these drugs. I didn't want to. I complained but my parents insisted. Oh, so now I'm a drug addict? Because you forced me to take a highly addictive drug, and I got addicted to it. I don't think that's all my fault. If it weren't for Adderall, I would have never tried other drugs. Adderall was a gateway drug.

But it helps me. Because it gives me the power and energy to work on stuff. Without it I might as well be dead. So I am sick of my mom telling me I'm a drug addict. Like, that's going to make me say, "Oh no! Maybe I should stop doing drugs!" Who the fuck cares what kind of drugs you are dependent on as long as it doesn't cause you problems. Like, I am also dependent on bipolar meds. What I am trying to say is, I don't take it as an insult that you call me a drug addict. I just don't like your yelling and screaming and acting all pissed off, because I don't like it when people are this way about anything.

It's like, you knew when the doctor prescribed them to me and I was a little kid there was a potential for addiction. But you thought, oh, that would never happen to us. You probably thought that wouldn't happen.

Really though, in all honesty, it's much better to have me on these drugs than off these drugs. Because I have learned that when I am on them, I will make use of the increased energy and concentration they give me and put it toward productive projects. Without these drugs, I will probably look for a different way to alter my conscious state, like I did all last summer. Which will get me no where. You don't understand how I am. I get restless. I get bored. I get unhappy with my conscious state. And I can't work when I am just normal, off drugs. Adderall makes me direct that energy toward something productive. Otherwise I am more likely to run off and smoke pot and drink. I feel like some people might say this is a weak argument, but in my case, I am dead mother fucking serious.

No comments:

Post a Comment