Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Thursday, February 24, 2022

Why, When Asked For a Religious Preference, Do I Always Say Christian?

It has been a long and strenuous journey trying to figure out the Christian religion. Why? Why does everyone else despise this worldview? Well, it seems to be a Christian belief that the purpose of life on Earth, is to believe a very far-fetched and unrealistic story that happened a very long time ago. THAT was the entire purpose of life, and you are either rewarded or punished solely on that idea! Is that something I personally believe? NO! Absolutely not! So then why do I say I am Christian? Well, in early adulthood, it seemed to me to be some sort of challenge that came up every once in awhile... Is dedicating your life to Jesus and having Jesus change you dumb? No, it seems, there is something actually very spectacular and worthy of respect about doing that... Does it happen? Dunno. Maybe. I guess. No. I don't know. Anyway... But the Bible was calling to me, over and over again, and I couldn't deny that I felt inside a feeling of peace, when talking about the Bible, reading the Bible, and when thinking and talking about Jesus. And it was so weird to me how common this sentiment seemed to be, with the entire world around me entirely obsessed with this old story, still, 2000 years later. I attribute it, believe it or not, to a certain Bible study and the pastor there, entirely through subconscious conversations, explained to me every error in my reasoning about misunderstanding the Christian religion. It was an agreed upon fact between us, yes there may be many spiritual belief systems throughout history which God had his hand in, however Christianity seems to be, inarguably, the most important and relevant and "best" at this exact moment in history. There are numerous details and situations presented in the Bible and Christian doctrine, which while may not be entirely factually accurate always, were put in place by God for a reason, and God knew what he was doing, naturally. And Rachel hasn't actually changed that situation either, yet. So right now it is a Christian world, and for that reason my religious preference is Christian. The only drawback? Ignoring people who misunderstand the situation and see the Christian worldview as... "ooh you accepted the 'magic special unbelievable story' go you!" Well, what was the alternative? Well you could say your religion is Buddhism, yes. However, don't get me started on how much I disagree with THAT worldview, let me tell you. For the record I love Buddhism and think it has many very valuable traits, but I don't believe every single person and soul on this planet has a goal in existence to reach enlightenment once in all of eternity, or at all for that matter, and after you do... You stop living lifetimes and just exist, or whatever you might do, I actually lack understanding of what an enlightened person does with their time, according to Buddhism. So no I don't like that worldview either. And yes, I could say New Age, God... On first glance my belief system actually seems more New Age, yes. But what the fuck is New Age? It is not a clearly organized religion, it's all over the map, and there are so many "New Age" beliefs that come up I find tacky and stupid. So no, I don't say "New Age" either. The best option is to just say "Christian" or sometimes "Protestant." It also comes up here, that my preferred psychiatric facility, and for newcomers yes I naturally need a preferred psychiatric facility haha, is Unity and that's the only one that's not officially Christian and I consider that a notable drawback. However, that wasn't all that important anyway, given I don't think Jesus had direct approval of any of these facilities, and I sort of think if Jesus were here today he would prefer Unity too, given the situation. Just sayin'.

No comments:

Post a Comment