Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Wednesday, November 2, 2011

Semi-Lucid Dreams and Acting

I woke up around 3 am last night feeling wide awake, so I did what I usually do in this situation, which was switch to the other bed in my room. It worked, I fell back asleep. The downside of this is tactic is that in the morning I have twice as many beds to make.

I had this dream, which was lucid or semi-lucid (I'm not sure if dreams can be considered semi-lucid). At the beginning I was shown a picture of this guy named Charlie, who was going to be my future lover. He had long, dark, very curly hair that was big and went everywhere. Not the kind of guy I'd usually be into, but I didn't think he was that unattractive. Then I was on a mission to find him. Along the way, I met this guy who asked me what kind of drug I don't smoke. I said I didn't smoke crack. So he handed me a cocaine cigarette, I don't think people smoke cocaine in rolled-up cigarette form in real life but they did in my dream. I smoked it and it made me feel interesting, though probably not how it would in real life. In real life I've done cocaine a few times but never when I wasn't under the influence of alcohol. I like it how when you do drugs in dreams they make you feel different. For the rest of the dream I kept doing things and having to run away, except something about it was different than my other running away dreams. I think other running dreams stem from the desire to run away and do destructive things. But in this dream, I was the one who was right. Which might sound wrong considering I was smoking a cocaine cigarette, but in this dream that wasn't considered a bad thing, it was a socially accepted drug like nicotine or even caffeine.

Charlie was the name of a character in the play I saw last weekend. The actor who played him did a ridiculously good job I thought and he is also in my acting class. He did a monologue in front of the class on Monday, and he did a ridiculously good job then too.

Which makes me think of my own acting. I don't know how good I am or if I'm even good at all, I really wonder about this. But I feel the need not to fail at acting. I don't mean not fail the class, I'm sure even someone who completely sucked at acting could get a passing grade in the class if they made an effort. I'm not going to make a career out of acting, but I'd like it to be something I'm reasonably good at. I have to do my own monologue next Monday.

I remember the reason I decided to do acting in the first place. Part of the reason was because it's something I'm interested in, but it was also because I thought I could play myself if my book were made into a movie, because I feel it will be turned into a movie. The advantage I have is that I know how I act and carry myself, and I experienced the events of the book myself. The disadvantage is that I'd have to act convincingly drunk and cry on command.

No comments:

Post a Comment