Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Sunday, March 17, 2013

The Wonder of Consciousness Part 1

So, I wonder about people. Mostly, I wonder about people who think that the world is just physical, not spiritual or anything else.

Because I mean, I think it is pretty obvious that there are non-physical things. Like, concepts. Concepts are non-physical. You can't touch them. They don't take up any space. There isn't a point in space where they are thought to be located. Yet, you can't really deny that they exist.

Then there are things we experience. Like noises, or tastes, or colors, or thoughts. Noises are present in the air. Tastes on our tongue. Colors on objects. And thoughts on our minds. But when we experience these things, we don't really experience them in these places. We experience them somewhere else.

We experience these things in our consciousness. Consciousness is not a physical thing. Consciousness is a spiritual thing. Self-awareness is a spiritual thing.

No person would seriously deny that we are self-aware. There is really no argument about this, since we all experience it and know it to be a fact. The weird thing I think is, everyone knows about the existence of self-awareness, but some people would argue that the universe is just physical.

So consciousness or self-awareness is spiritual. Question is, what does spiritual mean? To me, spiritual means something that has value beyond the physical.

I remember a person at Innercept telling me about something he would ask the residents about at Innercept. He has a plant cell. And he kills it. Physically, it is identical to a living plant cell. But the living cell works and the dead one does not. Something left the dead plant cell.

When we have thoughts, where do these thoughts exist? In our heads? Inside our skull?

I guess what I am trying to say with this post is, I think that the simple state of being self-aware is magical. I don't think humans will be able to find a way to reproduce consciousness, because it is something supernatural.

To me, the fact that we are conscious proves the existence of the supernatural.

What is the evolutionary purpose of consciousness? There's none that I know of. If you think about it, at least, if you think about it to the extent I have thought about it, I can't really think of any way that self-awareness could be an evolutionary advantage.

So I just looked it up, and I found some of the fucking stupidest reasons ever. Like, consciousness is an advantage because species that enjoy living are more motivated to live. That's the stupidest fucking reason ever. If we were more robot like, we could just be programmed so we would always do things to help us live. We would have no "wants." Obviously this person didn't understand the question.

But apparently, it is some debate what the purpose of consciousness is. They can't figure it out. But I can. The purpose of consciousness is so that people have the power of choice and free will.

At least, that is the reason is showed up in living physical creatures, so that when spirits inhabited them, they could make choices.

To be continued...

No comments:

Post a Comment