Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Lost in the Details

So one day awhile ago I was watching The Big Bang Theory with my dad. In the episode we were watching, Sheldon feels betrayed by Leonard and retaliates by giving him 50 pieces of silverware. I was confused. I asked my dad what was significant about 50 pieces of silverware. My dad, who is an atheist but was forced to attend Sunday School as a kid, told me that Judas received 50 pieces of silver for betraying Jesus. I said, "I read the bible and I didn't get that. How did you know that? Why is the 50 pieces of silver so important?" My dad said that's just the sort of thing they drill into you in Sunday School, the pointless random details.

So anyway, earlier I was thinking about my previous delusions, because I was editing my book. It seems like no one who reads my book understands it. Sure a lot of people like my book, but they say things that imply they don't understand it. So I was going back and clarifying, revising the part where I explain my delusions and trying to make everything as clear as possible, explaining both the important meanings behind things and the more subtle meanings.

Some people might wonder why I am still so focused on my delusions. What I came up with when I was delusional was actually kind of amazing. It's very clever and it's an extremely powerful story, with good underlying themes and messages. My theory is that people don't understand because they get caught up in the details. I'd like to say that it's just over their heads and they don't understand because they aren't smart enough, but really I haven't done a good enough job explaining. But I am done with explaining my delusions anywhere apart from in my book.

It's kind of similar to how people are about Jesus. It's not about the miracles and supernatural details. Jesus wasn't a great man because he performed miracles. I'm not sure he did perform miracles, but I'm not debating that now, people can believe what they want to believe. People get lost in the details and forget that Jesus preached love, forgiveness, not judging others, and living a spiritual life as opposed to a material life. These are the things that are important. These are the only things that are important.

No comments:

Post a Comment