Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Thursday, July 5, 2012

The Origins of the Universe

A couple days ago I was at the library with the people from one of the Innercept campuses. I ran out of time on my computer, and it wasn't time to go yet so I wandered over to the new books to take a look, not planning on checking any out, I just wanted to look. I ended up checking one out. It's called "Something Out of Nothing," or something like that. It's pretty much how atheists figure the universe was created, I guess. I checked out, being a theist, thinking there was nothing they could say to convince me that the universe is meaningless and just randomly came about. But hey, I'd give this guy a shot to convince me and I'd listen to his arguments. It has an afterward by Richard Dawkins, the guy who wrote "The God Delusion."

I started reading the book, but this guy kept texting me and it was distracting. In the preface, the author did address the problem that I had in my mind with his theory, he didn't present alternative viewpoint or explain why what I was thinking wasn't true though, so he didn't convince me otherwise, but I haven't read the book yet. See, the problem I was having is if you have a universe, or some sort of THING, that has a tendency to spontaneously create something out of nothing, then that's not really nothing now is it?

See, the idea of nothing is actually hard to comprehend. This is one of those things I would think about from time to time when I was younger because everytime I would think about it it would blow my mind a little bit and it felt cool to have my mind blown. If nothing at all existed, there wouldn't just be no matter or atoms or particles, there would be no empty space, there would be no consciousness, anything that you can think of that you could tie a word to would not be. Nothing ever was, nothing would ever be. Now, as a kid I was an atheist, so I didn't use God as the answer to the question of why there was something (I sort of do now though). But for reasons I could not comprehend, there was something instead of nothing.

Now, I was talking to my dad about stuff related to these matters, and about souls and shit. So my dad is an atheist, but I'm not sure he actually believes that spirituality in any of its forms is all bullshit. What I mean is, I think he believes there is a spiritual aspect to humanity, which some atheists don't believe in. But the difference between the way the both of us think comes down to the fact that I believe the spiritual element that exists in humanity was present before the universe was created, and I think what he believes is that it was just a byproduct of life forms coming about.

The spiritual element of humanity is what I call "God." Some people I've found don't like that word, but they believe in what I'm talking about. Anyway, so my dad seemed to think that what I believed was weird. He asked me why I believed that, and I said, "I don't know that's just what I believe." He told me I should examine that belief. So I'm examining it right now.

So what I believe is that spirituality isn't a byproduct of science, but science is a byproduct of spirituality. Spirituality not meaning religion but just plain spirit and awareness. So as I'm sitting here I'm thinking, the physical world isn't really real, the only thing that's real is spirit. And it all comes down to my worldview, but it's more than just a worldview, is a universeview or existenceview. The idea is that we live life to experience and grow in spirit (at this point I'm reminded that a lady at the holistic fair was telling me that we don't come to Earth to learn necessarily, unless we want to). My thoughts are kind of scattered right now, actually. For some reason I'm thinking that the nature of the Earth is to flow from primitive or evil to good. That seems like kind of a weird claim. I remember I took an online BYU class once and the teacher, who was probably Mormon, made that same claim. Anyway, the reason it does this is because of the innate spirituality of the universe, and the fact that it favors good.

For some reason though, this seems like a pretty weak argument. I may touch upon this subject again later, I have to go to class soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment