Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Wednesday, July 25, 2012

Junky Baseless Claims

So I wanted to talk about something I think is stupid. It's this movie "What the bleep do we know?" and its junky "science."

Now, this movie covers a bunch of different topics. It talks about neurons and psychology, and quantum mechanics, and that theory about water where emotions change its molecular structure. Actually, I think I may have mentioned the water theory on here before. I think I mentioned my dad judges science fairs, and at them there is always someone who attempts to demonstrate this water theory by doing something like putting happy pictures and unhappy pictures by water, and then looking at them through a microscope and claiming they are different, but in reality my dad says they always look the same. One of the staff at Innercept told me you have to freeze the water to see the difference. Anyway, I don't know.

That's not the point of this post though. The claim that I think is ridiculous and groundless is the claim that when the Europeans first came to America, the Native Americans couldn't see the ships.

Do they have any proof of this? No. I was just reading about it and it's this idea that came from science fiction in the 1930's. So now these movie makers are claiming it's a fact, and putting into this movie to blow the minds of the gullible.

Supposedly, the reason they wouldn't be able to see the ships was because they had never seen anything like them before. So apparently you have to have seen something previously in order to be able to see it. That means that when we were born, we were completely blind. Or, maybe it's just to technology. So when we were babies and we were taken home from the hospital, we wouldn't have been able to see the TV, or the remote control, or the refrigerator. There were a lot of blank, empty spaces in the house, full of things we simply couldn't perceive because we had never perceived them previously.

I can remember two times in my life when I saw something that made it hard for my brain to register what I was seeing. One time was when I was in Switzerland when I was 13. There was a mountain partially covered by snow with the white sky as a backdrop. It was kind of freaking weird, because at first glance it looked like there was just a bunch of black/brown stuff smeared across part of the sky. I stared for a couple seconds, then I realized that the mountain and the sky were separate.

The other time was when I smoked DMT. I was at someone's house that was unfamiliar to me, and I was staring at something that was really funny looking and took my brain a second to register what I was seeing. It turned out to be a vase with peacock feather in it with a fan blowing on it.

So, these experiences can teach us that when you see something that doesn't make sense to you, your brain doesn't just edit them out, but you tend to stare at them for a little while to make better sense of them. Why would your brain edit them out? What is this movie's basis for making this claim? I don't think it has any basis. It's just a junky, baseless claim.

No comments:

Post a Comment