Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Thursday, May 31, 2012

Weight Loss Secrets

So I've lost ten pounds recently. For some reason, I feel like I've finally figured out how to make it work. I've struggled with my weight all my life. Not that I've always been heavy, in fact I've been extremely thin before (blame the drugs). I've never had a full-on eating disorder but my attitude towards food hasn't always been healthy. I've had success dieting, only to regain the weight shortly afterward. But I feel like I got it now.

So this advice might not be advice you've never heard before, but I've noticed that most people go about it all wrong. Losing weight isn't about what you eat. Or how you exercise either, actually. Currently I go to the gym most days, but I just do a small amount of weight training and that's it. Yet, I've lost ten pounds in a little over a month. So it's not about what you eat. It's about your attitude. Don't think of yourself as being "on a diet." You only need to make minor changes to start losing weight. The slower you lose the weight, the more likely you are to keep it off. So what I decided was, I was only going to eat in the kitchen/dining room/front room where the dining table and chairs is. Not in front of the TV. This is the biggest change I made. So if I was watching TV and I wanted to eat something, I had to leave the TV to go the dining room and eat it. Rather watch TV? Then don't eat. Not only does this cut down majorly on mindless snacking when you're not all that hungry, but it keeps your living room a lot cleaner too. That's a bonus!

Maybe it also helps that I don't have a real taste for junk food. When I'm hungry I crave fresh food with veggies and protein. You've got to retrain your taste buds, you don't eat that shit for awhile you stop craving it. Also remember, excessively cutting calories will come back to bite you because it slows down your metabolism, and you can't keep it up forever eventually you'll eat more and then the pounds will come back really fast. This is what happened to me over spring break this year, I gained like five pounds even though I wasn't eating a hell of a lot because before that I had been skipping meals or eating 210 calorie protein bars in place of meals. Sure I lost weight then, but it all came back and then some. Now it's gone, though. What's most important is to have a laid-back attitude toward what you can and can not eat. Don't make certain foods off limits, but don't eat when you don't really want to. Actually, this is something I'm working on. Like I'll be eating a plate of food, and I feel obligated to clean my plate even though I don't really want all the food on it. I'm afraid of throwing out food.

So anyway, I'm actually kind of amazed at how easy it's been to lose weight now, especially since I'm not on any new drugs.

No comments:

Post a Comment