Spiritual Musings on a Chemical World

Sunday, February 17, 2019

Psychiatry and the Rise of Atheism

One time, I was talking to my dad, while undergoing Fish Out of Water Psychology. If you don't know what Fish Out of Water Psychology is, don't ask. That's a topic for a lot later. However, I thought that piece of information might be interesting to some people.

The comment he made was regarding the elderly. If there is an elderly person who is dying, and they are in pain, but refusing to take their pain killers, you should force them to take them, is what he said.

Of course, I brought up the idea that some people have a different belief system. There are people who think if they die addicted to a drug, they won't cross over because of it, or some variation on this belief system. He said that was a toxic belief system that should not be respected.

I can tell you based on my personal knowledge that not crossing over due to drug addiction is incredibly, incredibly rare. If you are the kind of person who is worried about it at all, you are not someone who wouldn't cross over due to drug addiction. It happens every once in awhile, but I do not agree that it is something you should worry about at the end of your life, when you are in pain and there is a pill that helps you feel better. However, I don't understand how you can be that arrogant. No one knows for sure the answers, and you aren't hurting anyone else by refusing your pain meds!

This was a comment that angered me on a very deep level. It represents some idea in society that forcing other people to take drugs is okay. The idea of "we know you better than you know yourself." Also the idea that because atheists own science, they automatically have all the correct answers on spiritual matters as well.

Another thing that comes up is the lyrics to a song by TLC. The song title is Unpretty. The lyric is, "if you can't look inside you, find out who am I to, be in a position to make me feel so DAMN unpretty?"

Anyway, for as long as I can remember, this has been my favorite song lyric because it is so annoying. I'm not sure if I understand it correctly, but it makes me think that you have NO RIGHT to call YOURSELF ugly. THAT IS NOT A FREEDOM YOU HAVE.

Anyway, apparently it goes back to some thoughts I was having as a kid, which I had without drawing any definite conclusions, regarding suicide. I'm not saying it's not WRONG to take your own life, first off. But I've always kind of wondered, if I decided to take my own life, why is it any of anyone else's business? Of course, I say that it was "without drawing any conclusions" because at the same time, I wouldn't want someone I cared about to take their own life. Just a thought you naturally think of when thinking about the idea of suicide.

So why would you not allow an elderly person to go through pain? I would have to ask my dad to clarify, and at the time, even though I was enduring excruciating pain I got mad at him and reprimanded him intensely for having such a repulsive belief. He backed down a little bit when I did that.

I wonder if this is a general attitude in society now, related to atheist culture. With the advances of science and psychiatry, it doesn't necessarily say anything at all about the existence or nonexistence of God. However, who is to say feelings or emotions or experiences are meaningful when you can dramatically alter them by swallowing a pill? Furthermore, there are moral qualms some people have regarding the idea of taking medication that are completely disregarded and stomped on by psychiatrists and mental health professionals. What if these drugs have unknown detrimental side effects? What if whatever the goal of me taking the medication, is a goal you have and one I don't have (like preventing high energy states or talking to yourself)? What if there are a bunch of side effects I actually NOTICE on a regular basis that makes me not want to take the drug at all? In guardianship situations, all these situations are laughed at. You are incapable of assessing yourself.

Rachel, you are unable to assess your own condition. We will leave the assessment of your condition to the dementia patients. Thank you, have a nice day.

No comments:

Post a Comment